Not The Favorite

Monday, June 22, 2009

I Wish Panties Were Free

You know, I’m 30 years old, have a good job, a good husband and a great kid. Things are still pretty tight financially but we get by. Sort of.

I really hoped at this stage in my life, I wouldn’t have to feel guilty about splurging $25 for 10 pairs of panties. But I do. I mean who’s going to argue I wasted money on panties that were on sale $2.25/pair. I will, in my head, as I wrestle with priorities. I mean, we can’t pay our utilities but I can get new undies. Jon can get the Father’s Day present he wanted but not put that same $35 on our power bill. Believe me, this is the first time in my adult life I’ve ever really had to worry about being behind on basics. This last year has been incredibly difficult for our family, especially since starting at [Corporate Life]. I had to take a big pay cut. But I really love this job and I’m hoping to get a good review soon and get that salary bumped up a bit.

I guess I’m going to take a lesson from the school of Oprah. She said quite a while ago but I’ve never forgotten it, “Pay yourself first”. I’m sure she wasn’t talking about splurging, more like savings, but I’m using her words to try and make myself feel better. It’s not often we go out and treat ourselves. I can’t tell you how long it’s been since Jon and I had a “date night”. I buy everything I can second hand off Kijiji and sell our old stuff for extra cash. Coupons are my new best friend. I find myself pretty envious of those who aren’t struggling like we are. But what can you do? Keep on going, hoping each day will be better than the next. And you know what I want more than anything? For Jon to get better and kick these migraines in the ass. Doesn’t seem like much to ask for but when you don’t know why they’re happening and nothing fixes or helps them, it seems like a HUGE amount to ask .

Also, this morning I hit my forehead on the cabinet behind the toilet today. Don’t ask. Now I have I bump and bruise up there. Luckily it’s just in my hair line but still. I’m telling you, my head is like a magnet for odd objects. I mean seriously, it’s lucky I don’t have brain daaaa-mage-mamage-mamage…

Labels:

posted by LadyLipgloss at 12:40 PM

2 Comments:

Oh ... been there ... was there for a loooooong time. Finally just getting my head above water now.

Good luck!

1:42 PM  

Migraines suck ass! I'm sorry that you are going through all this, but you're going through it together.

I do hope that your drs are trying to find the cause not just cover them up with pain kilers. We've had that problem on and off here.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home