Not The Favorite

Monday, February 22, 2010

One Twist Too Many

Jodi Picoult – Handle With Care

Do NOT read this book. I repeat do NOT read the aforementioned book. Seriously. If you are considering reading this, STOP. Friends do not let friends read this book. If you have it, throw it out, put it in a closet, bury it. I don’t care as long as you don’t read it.

I read it, on the advice of my mother, who I called after reading 41 pages in to yell at for giving me this book. I was so upset and frustrated. She told me to stick with it, it gets better. So I came back to it after a few days and then I got hooked. I couldn’t put it down until Sat night when I finally finished it. I was floored. And crying. I got up and wrote an angry email to my mother (who’s on her way to Florida) about how upset I was over the last page and a half of the book. How completely unnecessary the ending was and WHY THE HELL DIDN’T SHE WARN ME???

The book goes like this. A little girl is born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Brittle Bone Disease). In the first 41 pages, the family of four goes on a trip to Disney where the little girl (age 5) falls down and breaks both of her femurs in a restaurant. The family goes to the ER where the parents are subsequently accused and arrested for abuse. Their oldest daughter is sent to foster care.

This is when I put down the book and yelled at my mother the first time.

It goes on and the family is set free with apologies. They try and sue the police department and social services but after speaking to a lawyer, they end up suing their obstetrician, who is the mother’s best friend, in a wrongful birth suit. (Had they know sooner about the child’s disease in utero, they would have aborted.) I’m going to spoil the ending since I don’t want you reading the book. They win the case and receive $8 million.

Before the cheque is even cashed, the little girl, now 6 ½, goes outside to their pond, steps on the ice and falls through. And dies.

That’s it. That’s how it ends.

This is where I sent the angry email to mom, and can you see why?? How completely unnecessary was that as an ending?!?!

Labels: ,

posted by LadyLipgloss at 11:27 AM

6 Comments:

And that is why I left gave it back to Mom after page 41...maybe even sooner.

8:29 AM  

OMFG - that is terrible.....I wont be reading it.....I have to say thanks for the spoiler cause i would have wondered and been so curious woudl have read it and i dont need to read that! YUCK

8:56 AM  

THIS IS WHY I DON'T READ JODI PICOULT BOOKS!!!!!

I seriously think she is on the anti-depressant/pharma company payrolls.

She is physically incapable of writing a book that actually has a happy ending.

10:19 PM  

I did not read all the post. I am going to read this book, I love her writing.....and yes I will cry very hard.....

10:02 AM  

That disease is horibble, my brother's bestfriend had it. He's now 28yrsold if that helps.

8:38 AM  

It wasn't really the disease that made me hate this book, it was how the author just killed off the little girl in a stupid accident having nothing to do with her condition at the end. It was just frustrating and dumb.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home