Not The Favorite

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

It Burns, It BURNS!!!

So my little pumpkin has developed an extreme fear of, well I would say the tub but the same goes for the kitchen sink, the bath. For the last week and a half, bath time has been a nightmare. At first, it wasn't too bad. At the end of the bath, she would lunge out of the tub instead of waiting for me to pick her up. But now, she refuses to even go near the damn thing. We can't even say the word "bath" without her then saying "No, no, no, no scad (scared)." She even points to her crib and said "Nap? nap?" Imagine that, a two year old that would rather go to bed early then have a bath.

Last night, Jon and I decided to try a couple of things to see if we could ease her mind. I donned, what I like to call the worlds ugliest, bathing suit and got in the tub thinking she would feel more safe if I were in there too. Well, she starting freaking out for me to get out because I think she was convinced the water would melt off my skin. So, I get out and we take her to the kitchen sink. At first we tried putting just a little bit of water in and that's a no go. So we empty the sink and try it that way. Oh the screaming...

As last resort, we decide that it would just be easier to let her sit on the counter and I'd just wipe her down with a wet cloth. Everything goes pretty well, except for the shaking and repeating of "code, code" her version of "cold", until we have to wash her hair. There is no easy way to get this part done.

It pretty much goes down like trying to give a cat a bath. Lots of screaming, thrashing and grasping for anything to pull her out of there, and those eyes that say all by themselves Why are you doing this to me? Jon had to hold her body down while I washed her hair as fast as I could go. Afterwards, I swaddled her up in a huge bathtowel, we snuggled in the rocking chair and after a few minutes she was back to her old self again.

If it were up to me (and her), I would just say forget baths and go au-naturel. But I'm fairly certain that social services frowns on that.

Anyone have any suggestions? It seems to be the water part more than the tub part she's afraid of. Which is super confusing since this started almost two weeks ago and this past weekend (for the first time ever) she went swimming at my parents pool and loved it. She didn't want to get out.

Labels:

posted by LadyLipgloss at 8:24 AM

2 Comments:

hmmm, interesting......so here is a quick fix....bath her in the kiddy pool? If she likes the kiddy pool (don't do this in your dads pool :o)) then it won't seem so bad, she may gather a new fear from soap but at least you can get her into the tub, just a thought, come November I wouldn't do it as often, that social services thing might come up again :o).

How about a shower? would she "walk" through the water? Try putting her in the tub with no water and see what happens....good luck, keep us posted.

2:19 PM  

Madie hated baths for awhile too...wasn't really showing signs for fear but just didn't want to sit in the water. We tried the shower and it worked like a charm...I got in with her most of the time but it made baths easier....the kiddy pool is a good idea too.
Good luck !

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home