Not The Favorite

Saturday, June 09, 2007

It's Been Too Long

It's been almost three months at Big Red. And I have to say that apart from being a wee bit boring at times and spending far too much time on my ass, I enjoy it there. Everyone has been so nice to me and I actually received praise for the good work I've done. It's been far too long since someone has told me I've worked hard and done a great job. My boss went away yesterday and when I spoke to a girl in the office he was visiting, she told me he had really good things to say about me. I've missed being appreciated at work which leads me into a bad habit I've formed.

I've been burned so badly at work that I now have a hard time receiving praise. I always manage to bring myself down after a compliment. For example, my boss will say "Good work on that." and I'll come back with "Thanks, but I [insert negative here]." I can't seem to just say thank you.

My new goal is to accept my pat-on-the-back and and say thank you.

I also find myself waiting for the bad things to happen. I've been asked into my boss' office on numerous occasions and each time, I hold my breath. I wait for the reprimand over some stupid thing I've done, like forgotting to book a hotel room or left ordering books until I need to have them rushed. But each time, I'm relieved to find out that he either wants to tell me what a great job I'm doing or to ask me how I'm doing.

I've held true to owning up to my mistakes. I tell him up front that I've made a mistake but not before I've done everything in my power to fix the problem. And I so far, so good. He's also held true to his word when he said he's not a micro-manager. You know how some people say that and then they can't get their nose out of your work. He does his work, I do mine.

I especially enjoy how everyone there treats me like an adult. I don't get spoken down to. I don't get screamed at. We are a three-legged stool, as my boss told me in my first interview. We all get along and work together or we fall apart.

I really like being at Big Red and I hope I'm there for a long time.

Labels:

posted by LadyLipgloss at 9:11 PM

4 Comments:

I know exactly what you mean. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Before the job I have now I had 3 really bad jobs in a row where the management are uneducated, immature people with crap for people skills. I just can't believe how some people weasle their way into management.

Congrats on your new job. It's great that you can finally begin to feel normal again.

11:06 AM  

I'm really glad you like it there so much....you deserve it !

7:42 PM  

I know what you mean...sometimes I screw up at work and I think I have pulled the wool over everyone's eyes and them SHIT - the boss wants to see me when "I have a couple mins"!! WTF..I am caught!! and then surprise, they are praising me....go figure...dumb lawyers..if they only knew

8:43 PM  

good for you Jenn.....I'm glad your happy there.

The best thing you can do is be honest you screwed up and they will respect you more for owning up to it......good for you....

Regards to the praise, smile and walk away....just don't say anything, its the best way to get over the negative stuff.

Keep up the good work!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home